TIPS FOR NAVIGATING #NABJNAHJ20
TIPS FOR NAVIGATING #NABJNAHJ20
Thank you for registering for the #NABJNAHJ20 Virtual Convention & Career Fair. You are a part of virtual history! With about 3,400 registrants, this convention will become the sixth highest-attended event in our convention history. Below are tips you need to know about navigating this first virtual convention. Please keep this info handy and read it carefully!
Accessing the Platforms & Information:
Within the next 24 hours you will receive an email from NABJ Registration that includes your registration email, a new and unique protected password and the login link for all things convention. This info must not be shared with others or you will have issues with the system. Check your spam if you don’t see the email in 24 hours.
- To navigate all components of the convention, you must always start at the home page, which is located on vFairs. (Use the private link that we send you to take you there.) The convention hours are 8 a.m. to midnight, but you can arrive an hour before we open each day.
- You will also receive a link to a tutorial video to help you learn more about the virtual environment before the start of convention. The video will also be placed on the convention landing page.
- Convention attendees will receive a separate email with access to the Convention App before the convention kicks off on Wednesday.
- Throughout the convention, the help desk will be located at bit.ly/NABJNAHJSupport. Here you will find email contacts for help and additional FAQs.
- The National Office is closed due to COVID-19, so please use the support emails provided to contact us.
Preparing for Convention:
- You must download or ensure you have the most up-to-date versions of Google Chrome or Firefox for the best experiences. Other browsers are not recommended.
- Attendees must rely on desktop/laptop computers rather than mobile devices during the convention. The virtual platforms are not designed for the mobile environment as they require full-screen viewing and interaction. Do not use your phone or tablet to attend the convention.
- Note: If your computer or laptop software or hardware are out of date, you may not achieve the best experience on the web platforms.
- You will need to access Zoom to enjoy some of the convention’s live engagement features. Click here to download Zoom on your computer or laptop.
- Please disable popup blockers on your devices during the convention. Often parts of the platforms will open in new tabs or as new windows. Click here to learn more about popup blockers on Chrome or here to learn more about popup blockers on Firefox.
- Most of our platforms are browser-based. Please look out for alerts while in the system to allow browsers to access your audio, video and camera for chatting and speaking experiences. Click here to learn more about this on Chrome and here to learn more about this on Firefox. Also, make sure your computer audio is turned up and working, you have working speakers and mics, and working headsets to maximize audio output and input.
- To participate in video chats or Zoom events, you must have a web camera built into your device or a web cam attached/connected to your device.
- Please make sure your camera software is working and up-to-date. If you plan on interfacing with attendees, companies, recruiters and others via video during the convention, make sure you are in a quiet place, with limited interruptions.
- You must have strong internet connections to participate in the convention. If you are in a home or office with multiple devices connected to the internet you may experience slower upload and download speeds.
- Click here to learn more about the ideal internet speeds and connections. Also, if you are viewing or speaking at the convention from your workplace make sure your company doesn’t have firewalls that will prevent you from accessing the convention. Advice: Try not to stream anything besides convention material to maximize your bandwidth.
This image represents the convention home page. Here you will find the Career Fair and Saturday Events access point at the left. At the center, you will find the Workshops, Sessions (and Plenaries) access point. At the right, you will access the Special Events and Networking Lounge, where you will find receptions, networking chats, bonus and special content, Student Projects broadcast and news, the Press Room and the virtual photo booth. At the bottom center of the page you will find the Info Desk with help information and the program book.
Attending Our 100-Plus Workshops, Sessions, Plenaries, Events:
- Convention sessions, workshops, plenaries, the opening events and other activities will be held on BigMarker, Zoom, Verizon and Matchbox. All sessions (except invite-only) can be accessed via Big Marker.
- If the session is in Zoom, Verizon Media or Matchbox, you will be redirected by the Big Marker platform to your destination. You will access Big Marker by clicking on Workshops and Sessions on the vFairs landing page.
- Once at Big Marker, you will be asked to login with the email provided to the NABJ registration. In Big Marker, you will access premiering, live and on-demand sessions. You may simply click “watch now” to view.
- A note about Matchbox: When you arrive there for certain sessions, a schedule of activities will be displayed to help you find the right room.
- Convention receptions will be held on QiqoChat Universe. QiqoChat will allow you to log in with your name and registered email. You will be able to chat via text and via Zoom audio and camera in this platform with reception hosts and attendees. When you log in, a schedule of activities and listing of reception hosts will be provided, as well as a quick tutorial.
- To access meetings and events on Saturday click on Saturday Events in the Career Fair Lobby. Note the Career Fair ends Friday and is closed Saturday.
The Career Fair:
- The Career Fair will be hosted in the vFairs Exhibit Hall from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. ET, Wednesday – Friday. Note: Some recruiters are hosting evening hours to accommodate attendees working late or on the West Coast. Please check recruiters’ booths and Bit.ly/NABJNAHJInterview for more info.
- You will be directed from vFairs to the exhibit hall lobby, where you can enter the exhibit floor and interact with 160 plus recruiters. If you have an appointment, you can enter the booth’s chat area, where you can check in for your appointment and enter into private video, text and audio chats with recruiters. You can navigate the exhibit hall by scrolling from left to right or by using the exhibitor index.
- You can click on images and buttons at booths to see jobs, information, links, videos and more. You will also have digital items to add to your virtual swag bag, which you can email to yourself.
- If you don’t have an appointment, you can still enjoy the exhibit hall and sign up for interviews in real time.
- Remember to dress to impress and have your resume, video reel or portfolio links available to quickly share in the chat.
- We also urge you to upload your resume and portfolio links to the NABJ and NAHJ Career Centers, where recruiters will be learning more about attendees now and through the convention. Visit NABJCareers.org orNAHJCareers.org to upload these items. To schedule interviews go to Bit.ly/NABJNAHJInterview.
- If you were among the first 1,200 attendees to RSVP for free meal delivery, you will receive an email from GrubHub to give you access to place your orders. Click here to learn more about the entire process. Check your spam if you don’t see the emails.
Meal Event Schedule
- Wednesday, August 5, 2020 | 12:00 – 1:30 p.m. EDT, LUNCHEON powered by Walton Family Foundation
- Thursday, August 6, 2020 | 12:00 – 1:30 p.m. EDT, LUNCHEON powered by Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
- Thursday, August 6, 2020 | 12:00 – 1:30 p.m. EDT, LUNCHEON powered by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Friday, August 7, 2020 | 8:00 – 9:30 a.m. EDT, BREAKFAST powered by Wells Fargo
Meals will be delivered on the event day only during these times:
- LUNCHEONS: 10:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. EDT
- BREAKFAST: 6:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. EDT
Tech Support Email addresses (Active starting Wednesday):
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.