NABJ Black News & Views is Here! Here’s How You Can Support!
Dear NABJ Family & Friends,
Please help us spread the word about our newest project, Black News & Views (BNV)!
BNV is a digital news website that is a new division of NABJ. As we announced during our annual convention this August, we are proud to be up and running, and we are asking for your full support.
We launched Black News & Views in June as an online destination for the best in journalism on issues that affect the Black community in the United States and around the world.
Our mission is to create compelling multimedia content focused on news and perspectives relevant to the Black community. Our commitment is to share and elevate stories that otherwise may go untold. We also are partnering with news organizations around the world to bring you their best work relevant to Black life.
Here are some ways you can help:
- Visit our site and subscribe to our newsletter. Click here to subscribe. Navigate to the bottom of the page to join.
- Post about our digital news service on your personal and, where relevant, your organization’s social media channels and internal newsletters.
- Follow Black News & Views across all of our social channels and encourage others in your regions, chapters, task forces, committees, and communities to do so. Don’t forget to like, share and leave comments!
- Share and apply for the job opportunities we have available as we expand our team! (See them below or visit NABJOnline.org or NABJCareers.org to apply.) Reach out to Melanie Eversley, Executive Editor, for questions at the email listed in the descriptions.
- Help us share content about the Black community in the U.S. and beyond by encouraging your news employers to become content partners of Black News & Views. Contact Tamara Banks to get started here: TBanks@nabj.org.
- Join NABJ’s freelance journalist database here and submit your pitches and your freelancer details to BNV’s pitch database here. We want BNV to be a showcase of your best work. We want to feature YOU!
- You can also support BNV by donating to help us expand our impact. Contact us here to request donation information.
- Have a business, event or organization you want to promote? BNV is also now accepting advertising requests. Email us at BlackNewsAndViews@gmail.com for more info.
Now, more than ever we need to empower our community with information that is relevant and reliable and from the source. It is critical that we spread the word about Black News & Views across and beyond the NABJ network.
Thanks in advance for all you have already done and will do!
Dorothy Tucker, NABJ President
Social Media Editor
Seeking an energetic, precisionist who is well-read and a news-savvy social media editor to work with a global Black news site created by NABJ, www.BlackNewsAndViews.com. The ideal candidate would have an in-depth knowledge of the social media landscape, experience managing multiple platforms, the ability to manage and report analytics, and experience in content marketing. Must have exceptional writing skills as well as a demonstrated ability to use a variety of social media tactics (from hashtags and campaigns to graphics and video) to attract and build a wide-ranging audience for our site and social media community.
Attention to detail is a must. The editor would sharpen the site’s existing social media accounts and expect to work collaboratively with the executive editor and photo editor on potential posts and campaigns. The editor would attend a daily news meeting and stay in constant contact with the executive editor in determining and recommending the best stories to promote for the day and how to promote them. The editor would maintain an editorial calendar and would also develop evergreen posts to bring further exposure to the site to attract new and returning users to our original content. Please send a cover letter, three samples of your work, and a resume to BlackNewsAndViews@gmail.com.
Part-time News Reporter/Writer
Seeking intuitive, quick-thinking, experienced multi-skilled journalist to write/produce breaking news and enterprise pieces for a global Black news site created by NABJ, www.BlackNewsAndViews.com. The ideal candidate would be a team player who has an understanding of Black issues domestic and global. This person should be able to quickly jump on a breaking story and access sources that can help them create a complete piece in record time. This person should also have the ability to find stories everywhere, with an innate ability to find the data and people to back up those stories. WordPress and multimedia skills as well as a commitment to accuracy are musts. A minimum requirement of 5 years of journalism experience is required. Please send a cover letter, three samples of your work, a resume, and two references to BlackNewsAndViews@gmail.com.
Part-time Copy Editor
Seeking a meticulous copy editor with a strong work ethic who can immediately identify spelling and grammatical errors. The ideal candidate would have a commitment to accuracy, and also have experience in editing and posting in WordPress, SEO, and news site production, such as posting stories, writing headlines, and reviewing/preparing photos and captions. Our news site, www.BlackNewsAndViews.com, features the best journalism involving Black life in the United States and abroad, so the candidate should be well-versed in politics, health and social issues involving Black people around the world. The job is remote, M-F. This is a contract position. A minimum of 5 years of experience is preferred.
Please email your resume, samples of pages you’ve edited, and answers to the questions below to BlackNewsAndViews@gmail.com.
– How many years of work experience do you have with WordPress?
– How many years of work experience do you have with news writing and editing?
– How many years of experience do you have working with the AP Stylebook?
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.