Now Hiring: Executive Editor – NABJ Black News & Views Digital News Site
The National Association of Black Journalists’ news website Black News and Views (BNV) is looking for a full-time Executive Managing Editor (EME).
The EME, who will be a direct report to and serve under the supervision of the NABJ Executive Director, will oversee content, personnel and other resources earmarked for BNV.
Supervisory and direct responsibilities include:
– Exceptional copy-editing skills to approve final product
– Supervision of all BNV personnel
– Daily approval and conception of original story ideas, and reviewing pitches from managers and other submitters
– Daily approval of aggregate content story integration suggestions from managers
– Oversight of soliciting, screening and securing freelancers; individually contacting those BNV is using now and reviewing clips and experience to determine if ongoing relationships are feasible
– Reviewing story ideas and angles with managers and writers
– Overseeing the first edit of a story, working through revisions with managers and writers including approval of headlines
– Oversight of managers and personnel who handle posting and layout to make sure stories are posted on time and where they should be posted with the appropriate headline, captions, etc.
– Oversight and assigning out the writing of a weekly newsletter once BNV has collected an ideal amount of strong, original content that can be included and promoted to draw people to the site
– Writing several stories per week as agreed upon with the Executive Director
– Working with interns
– Writing a mission statement for BNV in conjunction with the NABJ President and Executive Director and ensuring keywords and principles are evident throughout the site
– Writing a set of content guidelines that personnel and submitters must adhere to (Such as: Every component of content, including photos and videos, must have a headline and copy attached when submitted; that BNV adopts AP style as the official style of the site; and BNV headlines are “downstyle” – only the first word and proper nouns are capitalized)
– Writing performance evaluations for personnel at a frequency designated by the NABJ Executive Director
– Creating an official Slack channel at an agreed upon timeframe with the President and Executive Director
– Handling other news site duties as assigned by NABJ’s Executive Director
Minimum Essential Requirements:
-Upload a resume and include at least two references for the hiring team to contact
– Possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism
– Have five years plus journalism experience
-Display exceptional and significant demonstrated copy editing skills
-Complete a required comprehensive, in-person copyediting and writing test
-Document significant writing experience with credible and leading news organizations
-Must display a demonstrated track-record with online content, including creation, management, editing, layout and design
Application deadline: 11:59 p.m. (ET) on January 20, 2022
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.