The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicago’s working women and men with depth, integrity, and grit. Winner of eight Pulitzer Prizes, the Sun-Times features hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews and cultural commentary, both in print and online.
The Chicago Sun-Times is looking for an editorial writer. This person should have a minimum of five years’ experience as a reporter or editor, as well as a strong grasp of diverse and urban issues. The heart of this job is working collaboratively with the editorial board in discussing, writing, and editing daily editorials for print and online, and working with columnists and freelance contributors. We’re looking for a generalist – someone who can write on local education issues one day and edit a guest column about the local arts scene another day. A broad range of interests is essential, as well as an informed interest in local politics. The editorial board interviews dozens of candidates for office each election cycle and makes endorsements in most competitive races.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Collaborate within a team to generate ideas for daily editorials
- During election cycles, participate in interviewing political candidates and making endorsements
- Learn Sun-Times’ editorial standards and use those skills to publish content that impacts our communities and city as a whole
Although we are working remotely at this time due to COVID restrictions, the person in this role would need to reside in the Chicagoland area and be available to come into the office as business needs dictate.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
- Minimum 5 years of editorial background or experience as a reporter or editor
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task and meet strict deadlines
- Experience and/or strong interest in local politics
- Working knowledge of virtual meeting platforms and social media
- Commitment to efforts to advance workplace diversity, equity, and inclusion
When you apply, please tell us the unique perspective you would bring to the editorial board. Please include a resume and writing samples. What We Offer• Opportunity to work with a team of forward-thinking professionals in a collaborative environment• Competitive compensation plan, paid time off and a comprehensive benefits package• Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand!
Sun-Times Media Productions, LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state, or local law.