Scripps Journalism Career Program
Frequently Asked Questions – Scripps Journalism Career Program (JCP)
What are the goals of The E.W. Scripps Company in association with this program?
Our hope is to offer new graduates from quality Journalism programs experience and training to jump-start their career. Ultimately we wish to build a pipeline of talent for specifically identified critical journalism positions at Scripps so that we have ready-to-relocate talent before openings occur.
How many positions are available?
We have openings for MMJ, Producer and Online Content Producers at WFTX-TV, the Fox affiliate station in Ft. Myers, FL. We recruit new graduates at one year intervals.
How long is the program?
New graduates hired through the Journalism Career Program are offered a twelve month contract. At the end of this contract our hope is that they are offered a regular position at another Scripps location, or we may choose not to offer them a position and the contract will end.
Is relocation required?
We are hiring for twelve month assignments at the station in Ft Myers, FL (WFTX). First JCP participants will relocate to Ft. Myers. It is our expectation that JCP participants will relocate to another station after their initial twelve months. We wish to hire new graduates who will establish their journalism career at The E.W. Scripps Company and will develop their talent at a number of different Scripps locations. A willingness to relocate to any of our locations is an important qualification for the program. We currently have stations as indicated here:
Who will the JCP positions report to?
The MMJ and Producer positions report to the Assistant News Director, Executive Producer or News Director. The Online Content Producer position reports to the Digital Director.
What training will be provided?
The manager and JCP Participant sit down together to assess learning needs and develop a learning plan. Many co-workers are involved in the training; however, the manager and the JCP participant are jointly responsible for the execution of the learning plan. The participant and their manager will agree upon a regular schedule of meetings to check progress and make adjustments.
How will performance be evaluated?
Performance will be discussed routinely at regular meetings with the manager. There will be a formal check-in with HR at the one, three and five month mark. JCP Participants receive informal performance feedback regularly and formal feedback at the five-month check-in with HR.
How is housing handled?
Scripps provides housing for the twelve-month program period. Participants will share a furnished unit, paid for by The E.W. Scripps Company. In exchange for the housing the JCP Program participants will sign an agreement expressing their responsibilities as an occupant. Housing paid for by the Company is considered compensation under US tax law. We will provide a special bonus to offset the taxes incurred from the housing.
What Compensation and Benefits are offered?
- Salaries for the JCP positions are competitive and will be shared in offer letters to those selected.
- The MMJ, Producer and Online Content Producer are non-exempt positions (overtime eligible). All overtime must be approved in advance by managers.
- As employees, JCP Participants are eligible to take advantage of health benefits from Scripps and would also be eligible for participation in the 401k savings plan. Our health benefits include health insurance and pharmacy coverage, dental and vision plans and life insurance. Employer-provided healthcare coverage does require some employee contribution for the elected benefits. Programs and costs will be outlined in a benefits information sheet accompanying offer letters.
- JCP Participants receive prorated paid time off (PTO).
- A relocation allowance to enable JCP Participants to move a small amount of belongings and to fly/drive to Ft Myers may be provided and will be outlined in offer letters.
- Upon, acceptance and relocation to a second Scripps location, JCP participants enjoy a $5,000 second location signing bonus, less applicable taxes and withholding.
What is the timing for the positions?
We recruit once a year through industry diversity conference attendance. We provide written offers to the selected candidates at the conference. The anticipated start date will be August/September 2017 with a contract-ending end of August/September 2018.
Where can I learn more about The E.W. Scripps Company?
Our web site is a good starting place. We also have a presence on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Become familiar with what our employees are saying about working with Scripps. www.scripps.com
How can I apply?
We recruit once a year through industry diversity conference attendance. If you are interested in applying for the 2017 year, recruiting will take place through the National Association of Black Journalists Conference in New Orleans.
To express interest in the program, please apply here