Senior Campaign Communications Staff Person, SEIU Healthcare
Title: Senior Campaign Communications Staff Person
Purpose: Senior campaign communicators work to develop and implement communications strategies to advance the union’s organizing, political, bargaining, legislative and community campaigns.
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Duties and Responsibilities:
A senior campaign communications staff person performs a wide range of duties, which may vary according to the needs of the overall program or a specific campaign. Examples of those duties and responsibilities include:
1) Writing, editing and producing original content including leaflets, direct mail, email and text blasts, recorded audio messages and content for the union’s newsletter and website
2) Producing publications in-house and with graphic designers, commercial printers and fulfillment houses
3) Working collaboratively with other staff to develop and execute communications strategies to build membership and advance campaigns
Media Monitoring & Outreach
1) Framing member issues for print, broadcast and online media
2) Drafting media advisories, releases, fact sheets, press kits, leaflets, talking points, op-eds and letters to the editor
3) Training and developing member spokespeople to deliver our message
4) Monitoring media markets within our jurisdiction for coverage relating to the Union’s campaigns and issues
5) Maintaining and updating media clip files and media contact lists
6) Assist in creating and implementing comprehensive media campaigns, including both paid and earned media, to advance campaigns
7) Organize press conferences and other events to publicize the Local’s message
Online Communications & New Media
1) Utilize online tools to communicate with members, general public and elected officials about the Local’s positions and work
2) Create and maintain campaign-specific websites as needed
3) Place content on the Local’s website using an online content management system (knowledge of HTML not required)
4) Identify opportunities to use online media to build membership, educate the public and/or elected officials, and advance campaigns
Scope and Nature of Supervision
A senior campaign communications staff person must be able to work independently on assigned projects and meet established deadlines. A senior campaign communications staff person must also be able to work collaboratively with other Union staff—both members of the communications team, and from other departments—and work with the Communications Director to develop plans and strategies.
Criteria for Evaluation:
The senior campaign communications staff person will be evaluated on his/her ability and skill in assisting the Local in implementing and developing a communications strategy that advances the Local’s campaigns. Among other criteria, s/he will be evaluated on the ability to:
• Understand and articulate issues of importance to the Local’s membership in regard to community, political, legislative, industry- and job-related issues
• Develop clear and effective messages for a variety of audiences
• Effectively frame members’ issues for a public audience
• Maintain regular and ongoing communication with the Local’s membership through new and established means
• Increase the Local’s public profile via earned media
• Move communications campaigns and take initiatives on promoting strategies
• Maintain working relations with the members and other staff
• Meet established deadlines
• Balance conflicting demands successfully
• Work independently
• Carry out assigned responsibilities in a competent and professional manner in keeping with the Local’s overall goals and expectations.
Senior campaign communications staff may be required to work long and irregular hours, and to work on weekends and holidays when necessary.
All union staff is expected to respect the processes of the organization and to work within the framework of the organization to resolve internal issues.
Key Qualification Criteria:
1. Strong writing and proofreading ability
2. Ability to understand and tailor messages to an audience
3. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), database, email, internet required; knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign) preferred
4. Familiarity with digital photography, using advanced point-and-shoot camera
5. Ability to learn online content management systems and online communications tools to deliver blast emails, text messages, etc.
6. Sound interpersonal and communication skills appropriate to working closely with members and staff, including the ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
7. Working knowledge and understanding of labor, political and community issues impacting working people
8. Sound organizational skills to manage and prioritize work subject to deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment, as an individual and as a member of a team
9. Demonstrated ability to formulate and deliver on short-term and long-term communications strategy goals
10. Successful candidate shall posses relevant education and/or experience in communications and political, labor or community campaigns
• Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus.
Salary and Benefits
• Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits included.
To Apply Online: http://seiuhcii.applicantstack.com/x/apply/a2wlmkaw31qe