As the Director, Internal Communications, you will be accountable for developing, implementing and evaluating internal communication activities focused on the Nielsen Consumer team in North America to increase employee engagement. The role relies on strong relationships with local and North American leaders in Human Resources and Professional Services to maximize impact and success. As part of the North America Consumer communication team, you will also provide direction and support to North American communication strategies and initiatives, with a particular focus on internal implications and considerations.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop the internal communication strategy for the North American Consumer group – embedding strategic direction and monitoring progress – dovetailing efforts with NA Human Resources and Global Internal Communications. Implement the strategy, track progress and measure impact.
- Improve average employee’s understanding of the mission/vision of the North American consumer division, including business performance against plan.
- Write and edit a variety of communications for internal audiences, including sensitive organization announcements. Supervise distribution of all internal emails to broad employee groups.
- Manage all North America Consumer internal vehicles, including email distribution lists, the NA Consumer Community Team Site on iShare, the NA Consumer Weekly e-newsletter, quarterly executive videos, annual employee engagement meetings, etc.
- Provide oversight for the dissemination of thought leadership internally to support client-facing thought leadership goals.
- Implement best practices for outgoing email traffic to maximize productivity, impact and retention.
- Leverage all Nielsen channels for content delivery including intranet, iShare, email, video, meetings, etc.
- Promote and support philanthropic activities through Nielsen Cares.
- Enhance Nielsen’s Employee Value Proposition by developing communication strategy in cooperation with NA HR, including supporting materials, presentation slides and web-based knowledge sharing tools.
- Maintain North American Consumer Communications Playbook to educate all associates on how/when/why to engage with the Communications team.
- 5-7 years experience in a corporate environment with particular focus (3-5 yrs minimum) on internal communications
- Experience working with a global multi-national organization, preferably in the B2B space.
- Knowledge of internal, external and human resources communication best practices
- Ability to stay abreast of business performance and translate that into understandable communications for a diverse employee population
- Ability to manage/supervise team to achieve goals and maintain employee engagement
- Strategic communications and planning skills
- Proven ability to strategize and to execute communications solutions that deliver results, and measure success
- Ability to influence management decision-making on communication issues
- Ability to work effectively and credibly with diverse individuals and groups inside and outside the company
- Flexibility – ability to juggle multiple tasks, priorities and demands
- Excellent writing ability
- Ability to manage strong and productive relationships with external vendors, design partners and translators
- Trust and integrity
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English, Business or related. Master’s Degree preferred.