Naperville magazine, the sister publication of Chicago magazine, is seeking an editor responsible for the content of this monthly lifestyle publication covering Chicago’s west suburbs. The editor will assign and edit all stories, manage freelance writers and a freelance copy editor, and collaborate closely with art and production staff. This person will also handle occasional service packages for Chicago magazine. Please include a cover letter along with your resume.
- Assign and edit department and feature stories.
- Research story ideas, and writers for them, constantly.
- Ensure all parts of the west suburbs and the individuals who make up these areas are represented in our pages.
- Develop fresh ideas to liven up recurring topics and come up with clever concepts for new ones.
- Collaborate with the design team on layout, art, and photo-shoot direction. Take responsibility for collecting available handout photos and other art for department pieces.
- Collaborate with circulation and marketing staff to enhance readership and engagement, including special events.
- Collaborate with the advertising department on creating media kits and an editorial calendar.
- Work with the production staff and freelance social media editor to convert stories for our digital audience and promote them.
- Handle occasional tentpole service packages for Chicago magazine, such as Top Realtors and Top Doctors.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by the editor in chief of Chicago magazine.
- 5-plus years of editing experience, ideally some of that in magazines. In particular: coaching writers through all stages of the reporting and writing process, including securing access to interview subjects and working through multiple drafts when necessary.
- A deep knowledge of Chicago’s west suburbs and an insatiable curiosity to learn more about them. The ideal candidate would be based in Naperville or the surrounding area.
- A self-starter mentality. You have to be willing to wear a lot of hats, handle any crises they may come up, pitch in where needed for the magazine’s success. The magazine’s content-creation model is heavily freelance-reliant, with this person serving as the sole staff editor.
- A nose for stories and a knack for coming up with inventive, fresh ways
to tell them. Candidates should see potential stories everywhere they
go — and have the savvy to refine those ideas for the magazine.
- A list of writer contacts and a commitment to refreshing that list constantly.
- A positive vibe and a sense of humor. We are a small team and work closely together.
Candidates can apply here.