CHICAGO DAILY LAW BULLETIN NEEDS A REPORTER
Be part of the exciting growth of the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin. The CDLB is a relied upon, daily, B2B publication for lawyers, legal and business professionals. Founded in 1854, the CDLB is now an online subscription product with a print publication hand-delivered daily to law firms and others within the inner loop of Chicago’s downtown area. The CDLB is part of Law Bulletin MediaTM, a diversified information company with deep roots in the legal market, allowing us to deliver essential news, analysis, legal solutions, events and marketing services that are uniquely tailored to our customers through a number of other print and digital products including JuraLaw, Lawyerport, Sullivan’s Law Directory and Chicago Lawyer.
WHAT WOULD I BE DOING?
As a member of the editorial team, you will be expected to generate story ideas, cultivate sources and interviews to write the story, work well under pressure and on deadline to file stories daily; submit stories with art components including sidebars, graphs or photographs; write nuggets for the Morning Lineup and cover breaking news as necessary. Knowledge of social media, multimedia are a plus.
WHAT ARE THE SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS?
- Education – At least a bachelor’s degree in English, journalism or a related field, with a preference for those with a journalism degree.
- Experience – A minimum three to five years of daily newspaper reporting and ability to demonstrate to us how that experience, if not with a B2B publication, will serve you well in this position. Experience covering community news, including legislature, city council, courts, business.
- Core Competencies
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple assignments
- Strong writer with excellent command of journalism
- Ability to write long form and magazine cover stories for our sister publication – Chicago Lawyer.
- Top notch interviewer, ability to cultivate sources and generate trend stories
- Must be able to work well under pressure and on deadline
- Great communication skills with other reporters, editor and sources
- Knowledge of Associated Press style
OK YOU’VE GOT MY ATTENTION! WHAT ELSE CAN YOU TELL ME, YOU KNOW, ABOUT THE PAY AND OTHER PERKS?
- We offer Competitive Pay, 401(k) with matching and Benefits.
- Casual dress except when meeting with clients.
- You’ll be joining a family of professionals with the shared vision of growing our company as a digital information provider and beyond. Mentoring and friendship are part of our culture.
- Easy Transportation. We are conveniently located near multiple “L” stations, bus stops and Metra lines. To help with those costs, we have a Pre-Tax Transit program that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. While we don’t encourage driving to work, we do have parking next door.
- Great location downtown in the heart of thriving River North.
AND HOW DO I APPLY?
We look forward to hearing about you. Your application should include:
- A cover letter that highlights the most important reasons you’d be a great addition to our team, focusing on how your experience has prepared you for this type of position.
- Your resume and clips or links to your portfolio.
- Specific hiring requirements, such as salary.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.