The Reuters-NABJ Fellowship Journalism Program offers nine months of hands-on, real-world experience with competitive pay in a Reuters US bureau (New York, Washington, Chicago). This fellowship, open to members of the National Association of Black Journalists, is part of the Reuters Editorial Trainee Program, during which participants will gain a deep grounding in financial and/or general news reporting, work on fast-paced news stories and develop skills in enterprise journalism.
The program seeks rising reporters, recent graduates or business professionals who can demonstrate a clear commitment to a career in journalism and an ability to generate story ideas relevant for a Reuters’ audience. We are seeking journalists capable of telling stories in a multimedia context, using text, video and/or graphics.
Participants will start with intensive classroom training and then work on reporting teams, mentored by some of our finest journalists. They will hit the ground running-delivering news stories to exacting Thomson Reuters standards.
This program has enabled past participants to move into fully fledged assignments with Reuters in locations around the world.
Core requirements include:
- Member of NABJ
- A clear commitment to a career in journalism
- The drive to build sources, break news and deliver deeply reported stories
- An ability to generate original, relevant story ideas
- Fluency in written English
- A strong interest in issues that affect companies, markets and economies
- An international outlook
- An ability to work on a team
Other useful skills or experience (not pre-requisites):
- Knowledge of a relevant field such as banking, financial analysis, accounting, law or computer science
- Up to 3 years of journalism experience or relevant business expertise
- Expertise in data analysis or data-driven journalism
- Experience in multimedia storytelling
- Fluency in another language – such as Arabic, Mandarin or Russian
- Skills in investigative reporting
Please include the following in your online submission: https://toc.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=JREQ044466&src=JB-16760
- Cover Letter
- Three (3) samples of your work
- Deadline: July 20, 2015 for consideration & interview slot at the NABJ Conference on August 5-9th (Applicants not required to attend NABJ conference to be considered for the fellowship)