News Radio Digital Content Producer
Chicago’s all-news station, WBBM Newsradio 780 & 105.9 FM, is seeking a talented digital journalist with strong news judgment and news-gathering skills, as well as a passion for local news and audio storytelling. This person works with a team to grow our audience across all platforms, from the mobile web to social media to smart speakers. This is an opportunity to join an award-winning news operation that has built a large loyal listening audience over many years and now is extending its reach by creating and distributing an array of new digital content.
- Develop story ideas, report, research and write articles
- Respond to breaking news and actively monitor sources of breaking news (Dataminr, social media, AP, internal communications, broadcast, etc.)
- Collaborate with broadcast staff to advance and tailor stories and other content for digital
- Publish articles, audio stories, podcasts and short videos on all digital platforms
- Write and edit headlines and text to position content for maximum engagement on the website, apps, and social media
- Ensure all articles comply with AP style and are SEO-friendly
- Ensure stories have appropriate elements (photo, audio, video, social embeds)
- Post to social media accounts, compose push notifications and newsletters
- Use real-time data in Google Analytics and Chartbeat to drive editorial/story decisions
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years journalism experience
- Outstanding news judgment, and strong reporting, writing and editing skills
- Ability to work under deadline pressure independently or in a team environment
- Experience with content management/online publishing systems
- Ability to edit other writers’ work for clarity and accuracy
- Command of best practices on all social media platforms
- Understands web and social analytics and how to interpret data
- Thorough knowledge of the political and cultural landscapes of Chicago and its surrounding areas
- Availability on weekends, holidays and evenings will be required for some positions
- Candidates will be asked to submit writing samples and will be asked to take an edit test.
- To help promote and ensure the safety of all of our employees and the communities we serve, we require all incoming employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination, which will be kept confidential. If you are not vaccinated, or partially vaccinated currently, but willing to become fully vaccinated, we invite you to still apply.
Candidates can apply here.