The Chicago Sun-Times: Deputy Managing Editor
The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicago’s working women and men with depth, integrity and grit. Winner of eight Pulitzer Prizes, the Sun-Times features hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews and cultural commentary, both in print and online.
We are hiring a Deputy Managing Editor (DME) for our Sun-Times News Gathering (STNG) Wire Desk. Major media outlets rely on STNG for fast and accurate coverage of breaking local stories. The Deputy Managing Editor, Breaking News, will oversee the daily operations of the STNG Wire team.
• Supervise the work of Wire Desk reporters to include editing copy, running coverage with STNG Wire staff, scheduling STNG reporters, notifying City Desk editors of major news developments and representing STNG Wire in morning and afternoon news meetings.
• Work collaboratively with existing news outlet clients while helping conceive future opportunities to expand our client list.
• Collaborate with editors to develop a cross-training program for wire desk reporters
• With the assistance from City Desk editors, hire and mentor Interns
• The DME will help recruit top tier talent for newsroom jobs, specifically journalists of color, which includes partnering with professional journalism organizations.