Northwestern University is looking for a communications specialist.
This role is for an enthusiastic, innovative, and creative communications professional to partner with the Northwestern University School of Communication’s external affairs team as the Communications Associate. Reporting to the Director of Communications and the Associate Dean of External Affairs, the Communications Associate will help implement strategic communications plans that raise the visibility of the School of Communication (SoC). The incumbent will help launch the rebranding of the SoC and will be a strong writer that effectively tells the story of the school and its dynamic students, faculty, staff, and alumni via social, digital, and print media platforms. This role will also support the Dean’s office special events and initiatives. In addition, the incumbent will provide communications and marketing counsel to SoC academic departments, research centers, and performing and media arts venues in Evanston, IL and Chicago, IL.
- Implement communication strategies that effectively describe and promote the School of Communication’s brand, mission, and impact to key stakeholders
- Create, manage, and measure the impact of content on social and digital media platforms
- Develop strategies to increase audience engagement and impressions on social and digital media platforms
- Research and write profiles on faculty, staff, students, and alumni for print and digital publications. Draft press releases, talking points, event briefing documents, fact sheets, and create presentations for the Dean’s office.
- In partnership with Information Technology, update and maintain content on school website.
- Monitor online metrics and analyze results on audience demographic trends, optimizing content and identifying opportunities for targeted engagement and audience growth
- In partnership with the Director of Communications, review media requests, speaker invitations, and track media coverage
- Provide communications, outreach, and issues management counsel to Associate and Assistant Deans, department heads, and the managers of performing and media arts venues in Evanston, IL and Chicago, IL
- In partnership with the Director of Events, provide communications support for Dean’s office events from development to completion
- Bachelor’s degree with 5-7 years of progressively increasing responsibility in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field
- Higher education experience a plus
- Passion for higher education and how it can be a pathway for social change
Candidates can apply here.